Thursday, May 15, 2014

Things, stuff and other such shenanigans

Hey all, been kind of off the radar the last couple of weeks, I won't bore you with the details, but I would like to take some time and write a bit about what has been on my mind lately. It will be a bit of this and that so without further adieu here we go.

So I have a few things to talk about on the games front, first off is Kirby Triple Deluxe. Just finished collecting all of the Sun Stones today, but I still want to finish the Dedede Tour before I write anything proper about it, I will say that I have been enjoying the game immensely, expect a separate article on that in the coming days. Next up is Mario Kart 8, I enjoy Mario Kart, but it's not something I get super into like some people. I ended up passing up 7 and while I was planning on getting 8 at some point, it wasn't something I felt compelled to get at launch. Then the Mario Kart 8 direct happened and after hearing more about how anti-gravity actually works I felt like it would shake up game play enough to warrant me jumping in. plus the free copy of Pikmin 3 pretty much sealed the deal for me as I've really wanted to get that game, but just haven't gotten around to it. People have talked to hell and back about the roster, so I won't go there, other than saying I am pretty confident we will be seeing some DLC characters in the future. Also, the OST for this game is crazy amazing. The intro is my newest auditory fixation.
I haven't had much free time for games as of late, so my backlog has been suffering some neglect. I'm still working through South Park and the Stick of Truth. I love that game so much, but I have only been picking it up once every couple of weeks. I think, aside from Pokemon because I will make time for that game even if it means sacrificing all of my sleep, RPG's take such a commitment that when I do sit down with one, I want to guarantee a sizable chunk of time to the experience. Anything less feels like I'm doing it wrong and I just haven't had many large chunks of free time lately. I am an adult, have to remind myself about that some times.

Still on the topic of video games, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were announced a little over a week ago and I for one could not be more excited. Not just as a Pokemon fan, but as a fan of the original Ruby and Sapphire in general. While my first Pokemon game was Red version in Spanish (a story for another time) Sapphire was the game that really got me into the franchise and I have spent more hours in the Hoenn region than in any other, and that is saying a lot as I have played the crap out of every single main series game. I have extremely fond memories of growing up with Ruby and Sapphire, most of my favorite Pokemon come from gen 3 and I cannot wait to see the games remastered in 3D. We all knew it was coming sooner or later, but that did not dull my enthusiasm once I saw the news. It seemed a little odd that Blaziken got a mega evolution but Sceptile and Swampert missed out. It remains to be seen if they will get them, but my money is on that they will and Gamefreak will send out a patch for X and Y right before the games launch with them and possibly others in the code that you would have to get before going online. Another thing that really excites me about these games is that there will finally be a reason to fix my favorite line of Pokemon. Grovyle in particular, but it's family in general are my all time favorite Pokemon. As one of the starters of the game it should be a focus of the developers to make better. I hold no illusion that my favorite Pokemon are very good competitively, or even in game for that matter. Best stab attack is Absorb until level 29...gross. I plan to start a series of mini articles in the lead up to the launch of these games looking at native Hoenn Pokemon and how they might be improved. So be on the look out for that.

Switching gears to a bit of personal news, I found out that I will have my associates degree in history once I finish my fall quarter in December. It feels weird that it's coming up so soon, but I'm definitely ready to be done with community college and transfer to a four-year school. With an associates degree and my over all GPA being pretty solid I shouldn't have a problem getting into my school of choice, but you never know, I apply in August so hopefully all goes well. To get my degree I need to take and pass 3 classes over the summer and 6 in the fall. Shouldn't be a problem, but 6 classes plus my job is not going to work out, so once I finish the summer quarter I will be quitting my job and going to school full time with help from my family and quite a bit of money that I have saved being decently frugal over the past few years. I could have just spaced it out and continued to work finishing school in April and transferring in August, but this get's me in the door about half a year earlier which is nice, plus my feelings toward my job have blossomed from minor annoyance to all out hatred, so I definitely don't mind having an excuse not to work there anymore. Please excuse me as I'm about to get a little parental here for a moment, but please be kind to food service employees, aside from helping you we have a million other responsibilities and you being an ass hole does not make our lives any easier. So yeah, woohoo future stuff, everything's coming up Milhouse!

On the creative front I have been making an effort in what little spare time I do have to do a bit more writing and drawing than I have been and I can definitely tell I'm making incremental improvements along the way. Since I will be out of a job over the fall, I'm toying with the idea of opening up commissions for the first time to make a little extra gas money. I haven't hammered out the details yet, but just something I'm thinking about. While my major is history, the college I will most likely be transferring to offers a minor in animation, so that is really cool. Stephen Hillenberg (creator of Spongebob) actually graduated from there so that's kind of cool, so I'm really looking forward to that. 

I have some cool stuff planned for this blog (at least I think it's cool) in the coming months so stick around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment